/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / RLink Problems

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2007-12-20 10:37:38 RLink Problems

deavesr

RLink Problems

I've sorted this out but will leave the message as it might be useful for other users:

The STM3220B-Primer installation proceduce had been followed, but it looked like the RLink device driver installation had failed. This is what I did next:

- Plug in the STM.
- Windows then detects the hardware, and starts the device driver install wizard.
- Select the manually options to intall the driver RLinkDrv_WDP from the CD.
- This was tested using the Hello World example.

I've recently purchased and installed the STM3210B-Primer.

Everything seemed to go okay, with no error messages.

However, when using Ride7 Debug->Start I get the error:

OPI Driver
Unable to open USB Communication with RLink.
Please check dongle is connected and that the driver is loaded correctly.

- What is the dongle referred to here?

After reading http://www.raisonance.com/Forum/punbb/v … hp?id=2173 and re-trying I still cannot progress any further!

I tried running RLinkCable.exe and got the error message:

RLink Cable Utility, rev .060531
Copyright ...

Error 0x304 detected

Additional info from RLink driver:
Unable to open USB communication with RLink.
Please check dongle is connected and that the driver is loaded correctly.

- How do I check the driver is loaded correctly?

Any help gratefully received.

Last edited by deavesr (2007-12-20 12:16:42)

# 2   2008-06-16 16:45:29 RLink Problems

wadz396

Re: RLink Problems

I have the same probliem,but it appear after I have writen a new programe.I think it is wrong.

# 3   2008-06-17 08:15:04 RLink Problems

matloub

Hi

Can you give more details about how this error appeared:

Do you mean your RLink was working fine and then this error appeared after you made a project?
It would be really surprising.

Best regards,
Matloub

# 4   2008-07-29 15:10:25 RLink Problems

friquero

Hi

I tried to download my very fist app, but I couldnĀ“t. During the download process I received an error message. Now after reading the messages posted in this forum and after making the installation and uninstall process many times in a Win XP sistem, I cannot complete the installation process because I receive the following message "USB installation not complete (code 10)" that means failure.

As result, the previous ARM program is lost and now I cannot complete the driver installation.  My question is I may have and USB firmware problem ?. Please I need help.

Regards
Fernando

# 5   2009-02-08 18:01:29 RLink Problems

astek

I am facing similar problems with rlink driver and Primer2. I have NO such problems with Primer1.

I have installed latest RIDE, which came with Primer2. While trying to flash, debug or add another app to Primer2, I get error stating:

"Connecting to RLink...
         !!! Error 304: Unable to open USB communication with RLink.
Please check that the dongle is connected and that the driver is correctly loaded.
Press any key to continue . . .
"

Updating the driver fails with error as indicated by attached screenshots.

PS: I am using WIN Xp SP3.

Any clue what could be wrong with Primer2 or latest RIDE?

http://www.shrani.si/t/3S/da/1otunK8s/rlinkdriver.jpg

http://www.shrani.si/t/1d/VY/45ouDiuf/rlinkdrivererror.jpg

# 6   2009-02-09 08:54:19 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi Astek,

You should use the Jungo driver, not WinUWB, as you are in Win XP.

The WinUSB driver can work under XP, but its installation is much more complex. (need signed coinstallers ...) It should only be used in the very rare cases where Jungo cannot be installed, which is not your case because if it was, the Primer1 would not work.

Check with your Primer1, you'll see in the Device Manager that it uses Jungo, not WinUSB.

So you must plug your Primer2, uninstall the RLinkWinUSB driver that is associated with it, and then tell Windows to use the Jungo driver for it.
(Check there for the advanced uninstall procedure if you have problems uninstalling:
http://217.71.112.106/Forum/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=2173 )

When doing all this you must make sure that you _remove_ the Ride CD from the drive. (except when installing Ride) There has recently been an 'update' in the Windows XP SP3 driver installation procedure, that changes the way drivers are selected when there are several candidates. (uses the .inf file date tag and always searches on CDs, which is stupid and, worse, unexpected) This has been workarounded in the latest CDs, available on our website since last week, but all the CDs that had been shipped before that to distributors along with RLinks, Primers or REva boards might show the problem. (only on XP with automatic update activated, it seems)

Best Regards,

Vincent

Last edited by VincentC (2009-02-09 09:17:29)

# 7   2009-02-09 09:07:27 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi Friquero,

Please unplug RLink, install Ride (only if not already done or if uninstalled), remove the CD (this is important, see my previous post), and then run this file from a DOS prompt:
<RideInstallDir>\Driver\RLinkDrv\RLinkUSBInstall_verbose.bat

That will install the RLink driver that is designed for your version of Windows and give as much output as possible on any errors that happen.
If there are errors, please send me a log file or screenshot of these errors.
If there are no errors, plug the RLink and point Windows to the Jungo driver. (as you are in XP)
If it works, then you should be able to connect to RLink. Check that with RLinkCapab.exe or Ride or RFlasher.
If there are still errors, please give me more information on these errors. (screenshots, ...)

Best Regards,

Vincent

Last edited by VincentC (2009-02-09 09:27:54)

# 8   2009-02-09 09:50:22 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Here is a new FAQ with some more information for you guys:
http://217.71.112.106/Forum/punbb/viewt … 9170#p9170

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 9   2009-02-09 10:06:30 RLink Problems

samarkh

Also have a look at the fun I had with Primer2 before it worked.
http://www.stm32circle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=432

Yours Simon M.

# 10   2009-02-09 20:16:20 RLink Problems

astek

Hello Vincent,

thank you for your help, but I still haven't succeeded to install the drivers for Primer2.
I am actually facing the same problems as Simon in another thread:
'STM3210E-PRIMER2-'Cannot Install this Hardware'

I have uninstalled the wrong drivers, with no errors reported.
After that I have unplugged the Primer2, ejected CD, ran driver installation from command line
with batch file. It executed without errors. After that I have plugged again Primer2,
the system asked me for drivers, I pointed to the location of Jungo drivers, but  the system
returned the error as before:
http://www.shrani.si/?1d/VY/45ouDiuf/rl … rerror.jpg

I am struggling for quite some time now with this driver installation instead of playing and coding for Primer2...

Regards

# 11   2009-02-09 20:33:02 RLink Problems

samarkh

For what it is worth astek this is exactly the error message I received time after time.
Have you been through your registry looking for the files I suggested (DO A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT FIRST), and then deleting all the files suggested

Search the registry for
c671678c-82c1-43f3-d700-0049433e9a4b
and deleted all occurrences of it

Same with
VID_138E&PID_9000
Then
Jung*.*
and
rlink*.*

exit the registry

Navigate to C:\Windows,
search for:

RLink*.*
WdfCoInstaller01005.*
WinUSBCoInstaller.*
difxapi.*
drivers_setup.*
RDrvInstall.*
wd_utils.*
wdlib.*
windrvr6.*

delete all

Reboot,

Connected STM32 Primer2 dongle, via hub

manually navigated to Jungo_WinDriver_2000_NT_XP,
and chose
windrvr6.inf

This finally worked for me.
Good luck
Yours Simon M.

# 12   2009-02-10 09:12:49 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Samarkh, as I said in the other post, your uninstall procedure is not complete. Windows makes copies of the inf files it installs and you must also search "c:\windows\inf" for "oem*.inf" files that contain either "Jungo" or "RLink". (use grep or something similar) Then, remove all those files and the associated .pnf files.

For the uninstall procedure to be complete, you MUST reach the point where when you plug the RLink, Windows tells you that it does not find any driver for it.

Astek, please confirm that you reached this point at the end of the uninstallation.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 13   2009-02-10 09:42:34 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

I just saw that the FAQ does not mention the oem*.inf files.

That's probably why you missed them. wink

I have updated it.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 14   2009-02-10 10:28:03 RLink Problems

samarkh

I think Vincent we are saying the same thing in a different way, I missed the oem*.inf file, but took the rest from your installation .inf file. Which is why I have to stop the automatic installation and do a manual installation.

I think that like all new toys you think you know how to use them until it goes wrong, then the fun starts, and we engineers don't like to RTFM ! lol

Yours Simon M.

# 15   2009-02-11 18:06:06 RLink Problems

astek

Finally!

I managed to install the drivers on my XP SP3 box.
I spent a lot of time deleting old drivers and Ride application,
rebooting, reinstalling and finally, it works!

Thank you Vincent and Simon for your answers and support!

So, let's do some fun stuff now with Primer2...

Regards

# 16   2009-02-11 18:57:45 RLink Problems

samarkh

No problem astek.

Yours Simon M.

# 17   2009-02-12 10:06:54 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad to hear it works for you, Astek.

Simon, I was insisting on you completely uninstalling the driver because once it is done, then the automatic installation should work. But if you are happy with the manual installation, that's fine for me. wink

I will write a doc for explaining all this, containing what's in the FAQ plus some info from this forum. Would you (and any other people who faced and solved similar problems) like to help me review it? (you don't RTFM, what about WTFM? smile )

If you're interested, I will post here a link to the preliminary version of the doc...

Best Regards,

Vincent

Last edited by VincentC (2009-02-12 10:07:40)

# 18   2009-02-16 14:12:39 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Here is the draft of the RLink doc:
ftp://217.71.112.106/temp/RLink/GettingStartedRLink.pdf

It mostly concerns the troubleshooting for USB driver problems, as the doc for _using_ the RLink is already present in each kit's doc. (GettingStartedARM, GettingStartedSTM8, etc.)

All users who experience problems with the RLink USB drivers should find the solution there.
If you don't find the solution there or if you have other advice to share with the community, please post your comments and suggestions in this forum thread, or send an email to 'support@raisonance.com'.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 19   2009-02-17 16:43:59 RLink Problems

klausr

Hello!

I had the same issues. I manually deinstalled (deleted) everything with "windrvr6" and "rlink" in c:\windows, without success. The solution was, that I manually choosed the right driver. It was not enough, to point the driver install routine to the right directory "E:\Driver\RlinkDrv\Jungo_WinDriver_2000_NT_XP", I had to

Manually install drivers with RLinkUSBInstall.exe found in the Ride7 program directory under drivers and then

Device Manager -> Choose RLink USB (it may hang around with an error sign)
-> Driver -> Update
x Don't connect to windows update -> Next
x Software from list -> Next
x Don't seek, choose yourself -> Next
x List compatible hardware -> Choose "RLink USB" (NOT RLinkWinUSBDevice!) -> Next
Finish

That's it! The text may differ, because I have the German WinXP SP3 version. I tried to translate that to English.

-Klaus

# 20   2009-02-17 17:58:23 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Thanks Klaus for this information.
Here are comments for the other users:

The uninstall procedure (explained in the doc) is much more complex than what you have done, (reg keys, oem files, drvstore, ...) and that's probably why it failed.

The RLink_WDP.inf needs Jungo to be preinstalled by RLinkUSBInstall.exe. (or wdreg as explained in the doc, in the "manual installation" section)

You must really be sure to remove all CDs from the drives. That's another reason why pointing to "E:\Driver\RLinkDrv\Jungo_WinDriver_2000_NT_XP" (which is on the CD) failed.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 21   2009-06-10 09:48:07 RLink Problems

royer_k

I have been unable to delete any of the keys from the registry.

When I try to delete I get an error. This is leaving me completely scuppered.

I think I'll have to buy another PC!

# 22   2009-06-10 09:59:40 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

These keys belong to the system, which explains why it can be hard to remove them. But it is always possible if you are admin. You have to...

1. Log in as administrator.
2. Run regedit. And you must do that with the "run as admin" option if you are in Vista.
3. Change the owner of the keys to yourself. Be sure to check the 'recursive' option.
4. Give everyone full access to the keys. Be sure to check the 'recursive' option.
5. Delete the keys.

Sometimes you have to perform operations 3 and 4 several times. (depends on Windows version and config)

Please check that you do all these points. For now this procedure has succeeded every time I tried it or told someone to try it.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 23   2009-06-10 10:09:02 RLink Problems

royer_k

I have just got a brand new machine - and after installing it gets into an infinate loop -futile!

# 24   2009-06-15 20:33:38 RLink Problems

hairykiwi

Hi guys,

Here's some more feedback on the repair process I found successful - (klausr's advice on 2009-02-17 16:43:59 worked perfectly for me, if you don't want to read all the detail below).

I just bought my first Primer2 last week. I'm using Win XP SP3 + regular updates.

I installed the latest Ride7 from the website, not the version on the accompanying disk. Windows automatically installed the wrong RLink driver.

I tried rectifying the problem using the exact steps in VincentC's pdf (ftp://217.71.112.106/temp/RLink/GettingStartedRLink.pdf) three times. I also tried samarkh's advice twice, exactly in the order as posted on 2009-02-09 20:33:02.

Either way, I could never achieve the situation where, as VincentC says, "...when you plug the RLink, Windows tells you that it does not find any driver for it.", i.e. Windows found the (wrong) driver each time I reconnected the Primer2.

So I gave up on both instructions, (thanks for trying) and WITHOUT deleting any of the files or registry settings mentioned, I successfully used klausr's advice on 2009-02-17 16:43:59.

I've since upgraded CircleOS from 3.1 to 3.7. I rebooted the PC and successfully reconnected to the Primer2 using the 'MOUSE' application to re-test the connection.

I'm curious to know where Windows is storing the wrong driver file reference(s), but even more interested to start developing!

Thanks very much for all your help.

Hamish

# 25   2009-06-16 08:48:58 RLink Problems

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Have you searched in the "oem*.inf" files as described in the pdf? This is usually where Windows places the backup copies of the drivers...

The procedure you describe can be tricky, because you will have to do it for every RLink/REva/Primer, if you have several. This is why I recommend to prefer the other one, which should affect all the RLinks that will be plugged on the PC after it has been executed.

Still, it seems that in some cases like yours it might be the only solution, or at least a much simpler solution than the "clean one"... So I will add it as an alternative solution in the pdf doc.

Thanks to both of you for your patience and detailed feedback.

Best Regards,

Vincent

Board footer