/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2008-03-13 10:10:55 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

lionel
Website

About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

Dear community,

we received several complaints about the "Hotlinking is prohibited" that appears is some situations and seems to prevent the user from further downloads.
We found this issue hard to reproduce, so we would like anyone experiencing this problem to share its knowledge of the problem. Mainly:

0. What Internet browser and configuration do you use (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, cookies configuration)?

1. When did the problem happen the first time?

2. Do you know of a way to reproduce it each time?

3. Did you find a solution to the problem by yourself?

4. Other comments?

Thank you for your feedback. It will help us solve the issue quickly.

Lionel

# 2   2008-03-13 11:38:57 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

Stewee
Website

Re: About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

For me its not a complaint - the website is good - but I thought you may like to know about this glitch;

0. What Internet browser and configuration do you use (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, cookies configuration)?
  IE7 under windows XP SP2 with autoupdate enabled. If there are particular internet files or registry sections you want to see let me know I can email them to you if they do not contain confidential details.

1. When did the problem happen the first time?
   Either..
   a) copy and paste a download/zip files link to a desktop or another web site (for reference) then trying to use that (hot) link. Or...
   b) step1; right click a downloadable/zip file link. step2; select 'Save Target As', Step3; hit cancel, step5 retry the download link (normally) by left clicking it.

2. Do you know of a way to reproduce it each time?
    Once it happens as above - it ALWAYS happens WHENEVER you left click the link -- until I delete temporary internet files.
    I dont even see a dialogue asking where to save the file first, I just see a white web page with 'hotlinking prohibited ' in the top left.

3. Did you find a solution to the problem by yourself?
   yes - simply delete the temporary internet files in ie7. (Tools-->DeleteBrowsingHistory-->[DeleteFiles..]), and avoid doing 1(a) or 1(b) again.

4. Other comments?
   a) seems to be to with caching and counting downloads because I also have to refresh pages manually to see the most up to date content.
   b) It does not happen on other PCs with the same IE7 and XP in our organization. So likely setup related.
   c) It seems some people are able to hotlink because the fastchart projects download count is higher than the number of views of the page with the download link on it. I would like to know who did those downloads just out of curiosity.

( Please Give Blood http://www.blood.co.uk >50% can.  5% do. )

# 3   2008-03-20 17:11:22 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

hybrid

I tried both with Firefox and IE7 under Windows, and succeeded with Firefox under Linux (but not on all machines). It basically happens all the time for me, I couldn't download anything. Maybe it happens when one tries to download something without being logged in, because that's what I did not do on the machine I can (still) download from.

# 4   2009-05-12 07:55:24 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

Ramsauer

I got "Hotlinking is prohibited" with firefox 3.0.10 under XP right from the start when trying to download today.
Perhaps the problem occures when trying to download before registering (that´s what I did).
Even after registering there was no chance to get rid of the problem...

Last edited by Ramsauer (2009-05-12 08:51:33)

# 5   2009-07-17 19:14:01 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

onp

Hi.

$1

WinXP, Firefox 3.0.11 with the Noscript plugin, but it is inactive for stm32circle.com
storing cookies for stm32circle.com

$1

Today. I could access the files several weeks ago without any problem.

$1

It happens each time.

$1

Right click, save-as. But then the file is named download.php and i have to rename it.

$1

Cleaning the cache did not work for me.

I also noticed that i could download the Primer2_Update.zip that was linked with this URL

Code:

http://www.stm32circle.com/projects/file/Primer2_Upgrade.zip

The other one instead did not work for me:

Code:

http://www.stm32circle.com/resources/download.php?Primer2_Upgrade.zip

The first scheme does not work for project ressources.

Last edited by onp (2009-07-17 19:15:48)

# 6   2009-10-11 00:03:14 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

fad_electric

Whenever I try to download a file with Firefox (3.5.3) I get the message "Hotlinking is prohibited." I had to use Google Crome to download files.

# 7   2009-10-13 16:00:44 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

fad_electric

When I use Google crome it says: 'Hotlinking is prohibited', when I use 'open link in new tab'.

# 8   2011-08-01 06:08:32 About the "Hotlinking is prohibited" issue

adamricky

after looking into details, it seems that your server disable hotlinking. preventing hotlinking simply means not letting unauthorised use of images/files from one server to another site, which is commonly known as 'bandwidth theft'

u might want to change that in your control panel.

hope that helps.

Board footer