/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2009-09-10 08:13:31 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

kubark42

Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

There's some kind of conflict going on between the Primer 2 Jungo driver and the Atmel Jungo driver for the STK600/AVRDragon, etc. I'm not sure whose fault it is, but I *do* know that the Atmel stuff works fine, whereas any attempt to connect to the RLink will cause an instant system reboot. Not fun.

This is, <hurm>, a critical bug. What to do?

# 2   2009-09-10 14:03:52 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

VincentC
Administrator

Re: Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

Hi,

The Jungo driver is supposed to be backward-compatible.
There should be no compatibility problem if the sys file is more recent than the one we use. However, we cannot predict what will happen if an older sys file is installed by another software.

So we must first check the versions of the inf and sys files...

Please tell us the version of the windrvr6.sys file, and also the driver versions written in the .inf files other than RLink that also use Jungo.

Which software did you install first, Ride or the other one?

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 3   2009-09-10 20:45:38 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

kubark42

I'll have to check tomorrow. I do know that in both cases (one with an old install, one with a fresh one), the RLink worked fine until I installed AVRStudio 4.17. I had to do some register crawling to remove enough of the Jungo drivers that the RLink would work again after reinstalling the driver.

Can you give some specific instructions on where to find these files and versions? Windows is something I use only because RIDE and AVRStudio don't come in other versions (grr...)

P.S. I couldn't get RIDE7 to install properly on Windows 7 (Although that was the beta version 7100, so the problem might be fixed in the gold master.)

# 4   2009-09-11 11:47:05 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

To get the version of the sys file, right-click on it (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\windrvr6.sys) and display the "Version" tab, and you will see the "File Version" value.

To get the min version that an inf requires, edit the inf file (in C:\WINDOWS\INF) and search for the "DriverVer=" string, in the "[Version]" section.

Have you tried to install the other software and then Ride?

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 5   2009-09-11 12:40:55 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

kubark42

Well, I'm not sure how good all this will be, as I don't know exactly which file did what to allow me to resume normal programming. Suffice to say that:

On an installation that reboots, the windrvr6.sys version is 10.01minor 1

On one that doesn't (same computer, different partition), it's 7.00

As for the min versions in the inf, I'm not really sure which inf files to look at.

Lastly, I no longer remember if I tried installing the other software and then RIDE. As I need this to work, I can't really experiment as I'm concerned that it might cause stability problems that I can't fix anymore.

Hope this helps.

# 6   2009-09-14 09:02:23 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your patience.
Let me give you more information on this driver...

RLink uses version 6.2.0 of Jungo's WinDriver.
Our software installs version 7.0.0, and the RLink inf file configures it for working in 6.2.0 legacy mode when using RLink. According to the Jungo spec, that should also work with all later versions, but of course we cannot test the RLink with all versions of WinDriver that have been released by other companies.

I suspect that the "minor 1" that you see in the failing sys file might tell that it is a test or unvalidated version. You should ask the provider of this file for more information, or maybe Jungo.

Anyways, we are in the process of giving up with the Jungo WinDriver. Partly because of problems like this one. In Vista and future versions of Windows, RLink uses WinUSB, which is a native Windows driver, and which Microsoft guatantees (for what it's worth) that it will be present and compatible in all future versions of Windows. But it was not present in XP and older versions, so we must keep Jungo for these old Windows. We have not finished validating the software for Windows7, as you experienced, but when that is done RLink will not use the Jungo driver with it, so you will not have this problem anymore.

So the best solution for you would be to work with two PCs (or two partitions) until we have finished the Windows 7 support, which should be a question of weeks now. Or you can use Vista if you prefer.

Maybe changing the sys file depending on the device you are using might work, but that's really not sure. And even if that works, you might need to reboot every time you change. ;(

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 7   2009-09-14 16:30:54 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

kubark42

Alright, I'll wait patiently till the Windows 7 support comes out. I've been meaning to upgrade one of these years anyway.

Thanks for the fast answer. Keep up the good work!

# 8   2009-10-08 09:59:21 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

We just received our first Windows 7 PC and we could check that the RLinkWinUSB driver for Vista also works in Windows 7. (as Microsoft promised...) I could debug STM32 applications without issue, using the current official versions of the Ride7 and RKit-ARM kits available for download on our website.

However, the installer will need to be updated, so for now you must install the USB driver manually. See more information here:
http://www.mcu-raisonance.com/rlinkfaq.html#Rlinkwin7

Note also that if you are using the 64-bits version of Windows 7 (or Vista), then you should take care to install Ride in a directory without parentheses in the name. By default Windows will install it in "c:\Program Files (x86)\...", so you must change the default install dir. This also should be fixed in a future version of the software.

And of course you must install the Ride kits (and the USB driver) with administrator rights, like in all versions of Windows.

I hope it helps.

Please tell us if you manage to use Ride and RLink in Windows 7 or not.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 9   2009-10-13 15:12:04 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

kubark42

Thanks for the tip. I got it working just fine, and it seems that the Windows7 upgrade has solved the problem with the driver reboot.

# 10   2009-10-14 13:58:36 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Here is a test version of the RLink driver package that should manage to install the driver in Windows7:
ftp://www.raisonance.com/pub/RLink_USB_ … orWin7.exe

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 11   2010-03-25 05:00:18 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

nemui
Website

Hi ALL

Same problem was found my environment(WinXP-SP3) because of installed latest AVRStudio.

But I installed RLink-WINUSB driver into WinXP-SP3 by force, instead of JUNGO.
Afterwards Ride & RLink on Primer2 work well.

Last edited by nemui (2010-03-25 05:01:58)

# 12   2010-03-25 09:41:35 Primer2 Jungo Driver Causes System Reset on WXP

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. Indeed WinUSB works with XP SP3. However, we will not select this option by default because of installation issues.

Moreover, the blue screen problems with Jungo should be workarounded by the next releases of the Ride kits, and in the meantime there is a patch for the ARM kit that corrects this (and other things):
http://www.stm32circle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=988

We are still waiting for customer feedback to make it official.

Best Regards,

Vincent

Board footer